Thursday, December 04, 2008

Expressions & Sayings

There are some expressions that I've heard over the years that have caused some confusion. I have yet to find a satisfactory explanation for them and so my search (albeit idle) continues.



  • "Search me" - Search you for what? This is an expression used when the person does not have the answer to the proposed question. So would the expression, "search me" infer that even if the questioner were to search the person, they'd find not a single piece of evidence to the question?

  • "White on rice" - Erm, rice generally isn't white. Unless this is some sort of derogatory comment I'm unaware of. What? Was rice introduced to the Western world and we took a really liking to it or something? Regardless, this expression puzzles me. I get the intent, just not the significance.

  • "Piss like a race horse" - Again, I understand the intent, mostly. Does a race horse pee more frequently or with more velocity than a regular horse? Or is it implying something about once it's out of the gate it's off and going? Therefore, does the need to urinate comparable to the race or the actual race horse?


So you can see why I seldom get everything on my schedule done. I have nonsense such as above dancing around in my head. But thank goodness I know it is a "half-penny" and not an "impadue", as that makes that Christmas song make a little more sense.



Until then,









No comments: