Thursday, October 09, 2008

Allergies



I know I've mentioned this already to some people, but today as I was enjoying my apple with peanut butter, I was thinking how awful it would be that if I were in public school right now, I would not be allowed to bring this great snack. It is of course, due to the risk of nut allergies in some kids attending the school. Which makes me wonder, could there be a school (private?) that could be a 'not nut-free environment'? Now I am not making light of the situation some have with this allergy, however, it seems to be yet another example of this over-sterilized world we are producing. Why must 98% of the students be denied to right to bring with them supplements and food items that are healthy and tasty. Although I did not eat a lot of nuts as a child, I couldn't imagine not being able to bring a Nutella sandwich to school or even a slice of pecan pie (not that I did, but still). And I know people will say, "Nut allergies are serious." And I am not arguing with this fact. I am, however, stating that we are the ones producing this environment in which viruses have become resistant to antibiotics because of everything we 'treat' our meat and foods with. In addition, many allergies are grown out of, including nut allergies. This of course is done under doctor's supervision, but there is a chance that some of the kids afflicted with these allergies and are avoiding nuts may not necessarily be needing to. So what's the point of this rant? I would like to find a school that allows kids to bring nuts to school and if unsuccessful with locating one, I'd like to start one (albeit lacking funds to do so).

No comments: